Friday, February 8, 2008

1 Peter written for Jews?

I have ordered Ben Witherington's volume on 1 Peter (Letters and Homilies for Hellenized Christians: A Socio-Rhetorical Commentary on 1-2 Peter (Letters and Homilies for Hellenized Christians)), but have been told from Amazon that its publication is still postponed. But today it seems from his blog that Joel Willitts has received the volume. And he can tell that "I am most encouraged by Witherington’s view of the social milieu of the letter of 1 Peter. He asserts, "We will argue that the early church fathers were right that 1 Peter is written by Peter to Jewish Christians" (2007:17, emphasis added)." This is really a minority position, even though several recent commentators (e.g. Jobes) have emphasized the possibility that the congregations probably were composed of both Jews and former Gentiles.

Looks like I still will have to wait some time before this commentary gets to Norway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Given your own work, Torrey, I do wonder what you think about this position -- generally speaking, of course, since you have not yet been able to read Ben's case for it. / Joel Green